Lunch@Restoran Nasi LAN Kedah
Had a chance to visit the much talked-about eatery in Section 16 Shah Alam called Restoran Nasi LAN Kedah. This restaurant receives rave online and offline reviews and my wife and I decided to give it a shot. Getting there is not a problem with the assistance of Mr Waze. The following is our observation and comments:
- Restaurant Theme – nasi kandar but run by 3 Malay siblings
- Parking – could be a challenge since Pelita is just next door
- Average waiting time during peak hours ~20-30 minutes
- Seats – just enough but could be a problem during peak hours..otherwise seats are aplenty (Restoran LAN occupies 2 shop lots)
- Cleanliness – above average
- Service – a bit slow – serving crew tak berapa cekap compared to their mamak counterpart – cleaning crew is sufficiently adequate and waiters are relatively efficient
- Food – in general above average with Sotong Kembang being the central theme..kuah campur is a must with any nasi kandar like two types of sotong, beef, ayam masak merah, ayam madu and dalca. It’s true what they say..the secret is in the sauce..and spices & ingredients are brought in directly from Alor Setar
- Signature dishes – yellow-colored rice (cooked with spices and turmeric), daging masak hitam, sotong kembang masak sambal and ayam goreng kunyit..in general they serve more than 20 dishes daily
- Bestsellers – daging hitam and sotong kembang
- Restaurant ambiance – typical nasi kandar setting..friends, families get together to have a nice plate of their favorite dish and a glass or two of that deliciously inviting teh ice to wash down all those spices..
- Price –
- daging masak hitam RM3 per portion
- telur sotong RM4 to RM6
- sotong kembang RM3
- sotong RM7 to RM15
- ayam goreng kunyit RM4.20
- telur ikan RM2.50 to RM5 and
- the soft shell crab (ketam kulit lembut) RM15 to RM18
- a plate of plain rice RM1.70
- What we had? 2 plates of rice+1 fried chicken+1 portion telor ikan+2 ekor sotong+2 jenis sayur+2 teh O ice limau. Price: RM55.00
- Our RATING: 3.5 out of 5
- Any Recommendation/Comment: Cashier collects payment right after you’re served at the serving station. This introduces additional delay which is compounded by the already slow serving crew. At this point customer experience starts to dwindle. Maybe they should appoint one guy to write out the bill just like the other mamak restaurants..customer service is everything in the service industry. Just my thoughts!
- Opening Hours: 9am – 9pm daily
- Address: Nasi Lan Kedah, A-5-G, Alam Avenue 2, Jalan Serai Wangi K 16/K, Section 16, Shah Alam.
Closed only during Hari Raya holidays.
The restaurant also offers catering services. For more details, check out their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Nasi-Lan-Kedah-Shah-Alam-367169753487855/